Chinese Major + Minor Requirement
- Chinese 1A, 1B (5 units, 5 units): Elementary Chinese
- Chinese 7A or 7B (4): Introduction to Chinese Literature (must be taken at UC Berkeley)
- Chinese 10A, 10B (5 units, 5 units): Intermediate Chinese*
- Chinese 7A or 7B (4): Introduction to Chinese Literature (whichever was not taken as a prerequisite)
- Chinese 100A, 100B (5 units, 5 units): Advanced Chinese*
- Chinese 110A, 110B (4 units, 4 units): Introduction to Literary Chinese
- One modern Chinese literature course (C150-C159)
- One EA Lang upper division course (e.g., EA100, EA102)
- Two EALC electives selected in consultation with the advisor.
Please note that students with previous language experience will be required to take the online placement exam. Students who place out of language courses or into the heritage track will be required to take additional advisor-approved literature or culture courses offered by the Department in order to meet the above unit requirements.
- Chinese 10B or equivalent*
- Three Chinese courses
- Two EALC electives selected from Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Tibetan, and EA Lang courses.
- One 7A or 7B course may be substituted for one of the five courses.
- EAP course(s) may be used to satisfy one of the electives; however, not all EAP courses will be approved for the minor. Please check with the advisor in advance.
- A non-EALC course (History, Anthropology) may be used to satisfy one of the electives. Please check with the advisor in advance.
***To declare the Chinese major or minor, please contact the Undergraduate Advisor Cassandra Dunn at firstname.lastname@example.org.***