These tests are administered once every semester. There are no make-up tests given.
This IS NOT a placement test. These tests are for those who are seeking to have their foreign language requirement waived.
You MUST be ON time. Remember to bring your student ID and a pen or pencil.
Please note: Our proficiency tests are for admitted UCB students only. We do not offer proficiency tests for UCB applicants or non-UCB students.
Korean — No preregistration necessary.
Tibetan — Must contact the Department at email@example.com before the beginning of the Spring 2019 semester.
Chinese — Must contact Lihua Zhang (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least one day prior to exam. Please include your student ID, email address, major, and background of learning Chinese.
Date: Friday, August 30, 2019
Time: 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Location: B-21 Dwinelle
Japanese — Must contact Yasuko Konno Baker (email@example.com) prior to exam.
- The Proficiency Exam is scheduled twice a year. Please verify the schedule before you come.
- This IS NOT a placement test. These tests are for those who are seeking to have their foreign language requirement waived.
- It is a written test, with no oral or aural component.
- There are no sample tests for Korean, Tibetan, or Chinese.
- A sample test for Japanese can be found at: http://japanese.berkeley.edu/ by clicking “Placement Guidelines” under “Courses”
Chinese Test Information:
- This test is administered online.
- There are two forms for the Chinese test: 1) with traditional characters; 2) with simplified characters. There is no pinyin or other phonetic system. (You will select the one you wish to take when you begin the test).
- In one of the sections of the test you will be expected to write a composition.
Korean Test Information:
This test will consist of written parts only (Level 1 to Level 3).
Evaluation of the Tests:
The test is evaluated in terms of the number of semesters of university-level study. (The range is from zero semesters to more than ten).
Test results will be available approximately one month after the exam date and will be sent to your college/major advisor.
Please contact your college/major advisor for the results.