Japanese Major + Minor Requirements
Prerequisites (Must earn a letter grade of C or higher)
- Japanese 1A, 1B (5 units, 5 units): Elementary Japanese
- Japanese 7A or 7B (4): Introduction to Japanese Literature (must be taken at UC Berkeley)
- Japanese 10A, 10B (5 units, 5 units): Intermediate Japanese*
- Japanese 7A or 7B (4): Introduction to Japanese Literature (whichever was not taken as a prerequisite)
- Japanese 100A, 100B (5 units, 5 units): Advanced Japanese*
- Japanese 120: Introduction to Classical Japanese
- One classical Japanese literature course (J130, J132, J134, J140, J C141, J142, J144, J146)
- One modern Japanese literature course (J155 or J159)
- One EA Lang upper division course (e.g., EA100, EA 102)
- Two EALC electives selected in consultation with the advisor.
Please note that students with previous language experience will be required to take the online placement exam. Students who place out of language courses or into the heritage track will be required to take additional advisor-approved literature or culture courses offered by the Department in order to meet the above unit requirements.
***To declare the Japanese minor, please go to 3413 Dwinelle Hall.***
- Japanese 10B or equivalent *
- Three Japanese courses
- Two EALC electives selected from Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Tibetan, and EA Lang courses.
- One 7A or 7B course may be substituted for one of the five courses.
- EAP course(s) may be used to satisfy one of the electives; however, not all EAP courses will be approved for the minor. Please check with the advisor in advance.
Please note that students with previous language experience will be required to take a placement exam with Department language coordinators.